Think of it as a cabinet of curiosities. A walk-in Joseph Cornell box as gallery and gathering place—where antique elegance and post-industrial edge surround artifacts of unusual aesthetic interest. Through an imposing iron factory gate, down a noir-ish brick alley … not so much off the beaten path, as just intriguingly off-beat. A uniquely alternative destination for celebrations and ceremonies, events and gatherings, unveilings and what-have-you. A backdrop for out-of-the-ordinary occupiers. This is Proteus Gowanus. Always interesting, for those who are interested.
Proteus Gowanus rents out all or some of its galleries for events, readings, photo shoots, product launches and parties. Our book- and art-filled rooms offer intimate spaces for gathering, as well as a larger area for presentations that seats up to 40 people. Rental can include all spaces (Proteus Room, Observatory, Hall of Gowanus and Reanimation Library) or some (Proteus Room, Hall of Gowanus and Reanimation Library.)
Maximum occupancy is 72 persons, and absolutely no dance parties. Additional photos and floor plan available.
Curated party themes available at additional fee. Ask about what we offer! Alternative entertainment by tarot readers; poetry whisperers; other performers.
PR services available for your event at additional fee, including gift “swag” bags.
- A brief description of the event, including what type of event it is and general program format (e.g., a reading, a party, a concert, etc.)
- The dates you are interested in (please include preferred days of the week)
- An estimated number of attendees
- Your technical requirements (seating, sound, lighting, etc.)
- The estimated length of your event, including set-up/load-in and clean-up/strike time.
- Your contact information — preferably an email address where you can reliably be reached.
Thank you for considering Proteus Gowanus gallery for hosting your special Brooklyn occasion.